Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Handmade Nativity Set

Can you believe it is December??

Oh, how I want to slow down the time and fully experience these last days of 2013!

We will be heading to California in about three weeks, and I know the time is just going to fly by. 

One of the things that helps me slow down and feel more connected to the season is to make some handmade items with {and for} the kids. 

This week we put together a rustic and whimsical handmade nativity scene. 

Last March,  my oldest daughter gave me a chippy wooden chair that had been on her deck for quite some time. It was falling apart from being in the elements for so long. 





With some of the pieces of the chair I made some crosses. 




I still had some of the chair parts left in my 'junk stash', and decided I would use some of them to frame a rustic creche.




I used four pieces to create a frame attached to a small wooden box. I didn't do anything to the finish of the wood pieces. I left them in their original chippy state. No cutting either, I just overlapped them to fit the size of the box.






I hung an old glittered star Christmas ornament from the top of the inside of the box using hot glue.



I added a little "O Holy Night" banner, hand stamped on a strip of cotton scrap fabric.







I actually created the whimsical Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus wooden figures last Christmas as a gift for my daughter.








This year, my 16 year old made a wooden angel figure to add to the set. She has a vintage button for a halo, and wings cut out of cardboard and painted gold : )



The cute little baby Jesus figure is a blank wooden peg doll
 wrapped in white cotton, glued on. Super easy!


The 'hay' is crinkled brown packing paper.




I made bases for some bottle brush trees out of the wall brackets from an old towel rack a friend was throwing out. I placed one on each side of the nativity scene.




Here is our rustic, whimsical, handmade nativity creche.

It just makes me smile to see something created for our family for Christmas out of junk pieces that might have ended up in the trash. 

It takes such little time to make a lasting memory of creating something fun together! 

Tonight our family marked the beginning of Advent. I do pray that we all will find ways of slowing down and savoring what's most meaningful to our families this Christmas. 

Blessings of the season to you, my friends!

Jeanette  


Joining in the fun over here this week: 

Christmas Junkers United
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
The Scoop at White Lace Cottage  
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm 
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
Tweak it Tuesday at Cozy Little House 
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style 
Centerpiece Wednesday at The Style Sisters 
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours 
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Be Inspired at Common Ground 
Party Junk at Funky Junk Interiors 
Creating Christmas at Must Love Junk 

15 comments:

  1. Your nativity creche is WONDERFUL!!! What a treasure you created to be used year after year.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sweet Jeanette,
    You never cease to amaze me with your creative ideas. You truly inspire me to appreciate and use what I have. Your Nativity is beautifully simple and heart warming. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!...such a sweet and personal touch ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this. So very precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet and wonderful! I love it.

    Have a lovely Christmas holiday season.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply PRECIOUS!!!! Truly one of a kind. :-)
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful! I think they may be my favorite nativity scene ever! So sweet and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just makes me smile to see something created for our family for Christmas out of junk pieces that might have ended up in the trash.

    This is my favorite thing to do also. What a treasure you made! So simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is so beautiful, I love it. So creative and you gave us such a fabulous tutorial. Gorgeous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. O my...a beautiful beautiful job. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the sweetest little nativity ever - I love it! You have definitely inspired me to do a little creating of my own. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeanette, it is just precious! I love how you used so many unexpected things. Things like this will be cherished for a life time! Thanks for sharing it with SYC. Pinned.
    Merry Christmas!
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Connections! I hope you doing well. I am Lezzy Berg from Los Angeles USA. Past seven month, I'm working in a tech support company who provides you top notch QuickBooks Customer Service near you as per your requirement. For more information you can call us or visit our official website www.quickbookscustomerservice.com
    Chnage QuickBooks Password Online
    Quickbooks Desktop Installation Errors
    QuickBooks Error Code 64
    QuickBooks Online Error Code 101
    QuickBooks Error Code C=51

    ReplyDelete
  14. See komplekt on 100% puuvillane ja mugav kanda,
    Iga komplekt on eraldi pakendatud.

    Komplekt sisaldab:
    1 lühikeste varrukatega t-särk,
    1 libisemine,
    1 paar sokke ja

    Suurus: XXL
    Hind: € 1,65 / komplekt Asbesti eemaldamise kaitseriietus

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!